Friday, March 4, 2011

Learning Transparency in Ministry

Charles Swindoll tells the story of meeting a ministry leader whom he had respected for many years named Jim Petersen. This was when Swindoll was new to ministry and still looking for that formula for success in ministry.

“Tell me the secret of ministering to people.” I expected him to say, “Always set the pace,” or, “Be strong no matter what,” or, “Model the truth, and stand against the adversary as he attacks you.” I got none of that. The answer he receives was “Chuck, let people see the cracks in your life, and you’ll be able to minister to them.”

I love this story but I must admit I am scared about the natural application that comes with it. Is this suggesting that I should reveal my personal and private business in the public arena? Does this mean that I am to remain naked and bare emotionally and spiritually to the church in which I serve?

Some of my deepest pains have been caused by people I let inside who wore Christian robes and the badge of being employed by the Master but were living a life of masquerade who had crept in unaware. If this is what Transparency looks like; then this concept is for the birds and I don't want to do it, however, I found a definition that gave me hope.

Transparency is something that is made visible by light shining from behind.
2 Corinthians 4:6-7 (New Century Version)
God once said, "Let the light shine out of the darkness!" This is the same God who made his light shine in our hearts by letting us know the glory of God that is in the face of Christ.
We have this treasure from God, but we are like clay jars that hold the treasure. This shows that the great power is from God, not from us.

Therefore, it is not a bad thing to admit I have faults, fears and flaws because it allows people to see the Christ that works in me. LET THEM SEE YOUR CRACKS.

I am apprehensive before I preach, worried about declaring what has been deposited in me. I am anxious after I preach, replaying every word, reviewing every sentence, ready to find a pulpit to get back up and say what I should have said or could have said better; however this frailty shows people MY FATHER, so LET THEM SEE YOUR CRACKS.

There are times that studying leads you to new ideas that deepen your faith, stretch your horizons and pushes you out of your comfort zones. It changes our preaching and may make the preacher and pew uncomfortable as new territory is discovered but if I LET THERM SEE THE CRACKS, then we take this adventure together, we grow together. It will be seen God is growing our Pastor and as He grows we grow.

I am LEARNING Transparency so:
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine Let it shine, Let it shine, Let it shine.

No comments: