Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Unplugged from the World

Thank God for safe passage from South bend, Indiana to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with my most precious cargo, my children. The 12 to 13 hour drive is starting to lean on me but thankful God sent some rain my way in Missouri that kept me alert and attentive. Sometimes adversity can be your advantage.

Upon arriving in OKC, I was reacquainted with what makes the Sooners so fit, Running two a days in 110 degree weather, It was and still is hot. To top it off, they had a freak Summer thunderstorm come thru Monday evening. Until you have seen a thunderstorm while the temperature is over 100 degrees, you just had a little rain.

It was beautiful but costly. The electrical storm burned transformers all over the city and the straight line wines were equivalent to a week F-1 tornado so roofs, poles, tree limbs and everything else starting flowing. My mom's electricity went out Monday about 9:00pm. The house warmed quickly and we reminded ourselves of times not so long ago where we didn't have AC.

That was all fine and good but after awhile, I realized I was unplugged from the world. No TV, No Internet, all I had was my phone and that was on a dying charge with nothing to charge it back up with. When i told the Lord I needed to get away with no distractions, I certainly didn't realize he would answer like this.

No electricity for 48 hours. I could have left to go to a motel but someone needed to stay with the house and watch things so, I sent mom to my aunt's and I stayed here. In that time I learned what community is and what it does.

We have so much in common especially when tragedy hits. No big I's and little U's, no mansions or penthouses, none of us have lights, none of us have air and all of us are dealing with 100 degree weather, so we came together.

We took water to the elderly. We camped out at the transformer pole to watch the OG&E people to make sure they did their job. I cut down neighbor's trees and moved some things for a big trash day pick up. We came together.

The sad part is this. The lights came back on, about an hour ago. We all went back inside. We all have air, no need being outside. We all have TV, no need to talk and converse anymore, we can chill and cool our own water, no need to share anymore. No interaction, back to computers, phones, IPAD's. Back to being plugged in.

Sometimes God has a way of slowing us down, unplugging our outlets and helping us to see what really matters. I had a great time here in the heat with no lights on with my family. Best time in a long time.

Owens

No comments: