Thursday, August 25, 2011

First day of school, AGAIN

I had the pleasure today of dropping off my 16 year old Son, Khalil to school today for the beginning of his junior year in Washington High School. While Khalil is not my biological son, to me he is every part of my son as I have been in his life since he was two years old.

Although his mother and I divorced, he still sees me as Dad and amazingly enough when no one else can seem to get through to him, I still can. After spending time with me this summer, he expresses his desire to stay with me in South Bend. With deep prayer and personal counseling and after consultation with his mom and dad, Khalil is now with me.

There is not a day that goes by where I don't think at least once, "What the hell have I gotten myself into"? With that said, I still thank God for the opportunity to impact and shape this young man.

I learned the definition of a hypocrite! When I do something, say something, exaggerate about something, it is ok, when my son does the same thing I do, it is wrong. Being around my son has sparked a desire in me to become a better man, to lead by example, to lead him not drive him, to shape according to the God-created mold and pattern for his life, not by what I want him to be.

Please pray for him and me. As I dropped him off at school this morning, I looked around at all the students and became a dad all over again. It is a blessing God can go where we can't and do what we can't do.

1 comment:

Ms Cynthia said...

NEED MORE MEN LIKE YOU!!! GOD BLESS YOU PASTOR