Wednesday, April 21, 2010

4 lessons in Hospitality

I had the great pleasure of learning 4 different, yet real lessons on hospitality that will benefit the Macedonia Church and my ministry for years to come. The first lesson came from Pastor E. J. Tyson and the New Hope Baptist Church of Oklahoma City, OK. I was allowed the privilege of being his guest evangelist as he participated in the OKC 66th Annual Simultaneous revival services.

While I was blown away by the hosting job Pastor Tyson and his Hospitality committee did for me, the lesson I learned was how they treated my church. A small delegation of choir members and musicians traveled with us to OKC. A church budgets for the needs and expenses of the evangelist but not for his church; therefore, they were under no obligation to be nice to my church as they invited me, not Macedonia.

With that said, New Hope went over and beyond the expectations; from fish Fry's to BBQ Bonanzas to transportation where ever the church needed, they demonstrated what hospitality looked like.

My second lesson in hospitality was from the Sweet Home Ministries Church and Dr. Erskine Jones. Pastor Jones taught me what hospitality feels like. Pastor Jones is a product of the Macedonia Ministry but he allows me the honor of being his pastor. While he is under no obligation to fellowship with or invite me to anything, he did not consider it robbery to reach down and allow our church to celebrate his 9th Pastoral Anniversary. It was a wonderful time and another needed lesson on what is possible when churches work together.

My third lesson was from the Capernaum Community Church and their Pastor, Rev Eugene C. Staples Sr. Pastor Staples is another product of Macedonia who last Easter organized his own church. The Lord has been blessing his ministry and now he has a multi-racial ministry addressing the needs of the total man. The honor in hospitality I received for Pastor Staples was the honor of being the first minister other than himself, to preach to his people.

I endeavored to reinforce the message that Pastor Staples has been laboring in every Sunday. Stripping myself of all things Pastoral, we tried to simply encourage. The professionalism of his office staff and the love from his church family was overwhelming and appreciated.

The fourth lesson in hospitality was received from the Greater New Vision-New Birth Christian Ministries and their Co-Pastor, Rev. Cory L. Gathright who allowed us to celebrate his 4th Pastoral anniversary. We work with Pastor Gathright in our Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance work within our city.

I am not "one of the boys of Bethlehem" or a son of the city therefore to allow me to preach on his program although I am not from here was very humbling for me. It taught me that real hospitality is not just extended to people we like but it is given to whomever is within our reach.

I am grateful for all the lessons and now I have the responsibility to learn and live this lessons.

Owens

3 comments:

Rev. Barney said...

I am thankful for you sharing out of your love for God and His people about lessons learned on the journey. God bless you.

Ronald said...

I like it.

Amazing,

Ron

Anonymous said...

Pastor Owens, thank you for the kind and for beig a fine pastor!