Monday, November 16, 2009

Preaching to the "Bats"

We had a great time in the Lord on Sunday both at Macedonia and Greater St. John with Pastor McGhee celebrating his 6th Pastoral anniversary. I praise God for a church that is so willing to follow their pastor especially considering I preached at 10:00 and then an hour later I am right back up. Suckers for punishment or givers of grace either way, I appreciate Macedonia.

I had been scared all week, more so then the norm. Preachers are always apprehensive before, during and after the preaching moment but my respect for Dr. McGhee and the GSJ church had me very worried. As most followers of this medium know and all of us who have heard can attest, Pastor McGhee is some kind of preacher who is powerful in presentation and awesome in his ability to deliver the Word of God. We as ministers do not compete with each other but we certainly don't want to embarrass a pastor who invites us because it would be a disservice to him as well as to God.

I prayed for God to handle my fear. Let me say God answered my prayer but BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ASK GOD TO DO, HE MAY DO IT BUT NOT THE WAY YOU EXPECT.

Sunday morning at Macedonia I preached Acts 27: 39-44, "Piece by Piece". The Lord blessed us but while blessing He answered my prayer concerning my fear. How? Sunday morning, the famous Macedonia visitor arrived. I have always heard stories of "bats" attending church especially when the furnace is first kicked on for the season.

Lo and behold on the ceiling not far from eyesight and too close to the pulpit was a bat attending church. It had its seat and it would not be moved. I assumed the music would disturb it. The bat stayed. I thought the drums and symbols would irritate it. The bat stayed. I preached but must admit my eyes stayed on the bat. There were a couple of times the bat spread his wings like it was going to fly but never moved.

To many of you this may not be a big deal because you are visualizing this happening at your church; however, Macedonia is not a large church with acres of Negros and miles of sanctuary where if a bat is coming your way it would take 5 minutes just to reach you in the pulpit. Macedonia is not a large church in size of structure so the bat was very near.

I realized midway through the sermon, the bat was God answering my prayer. Members faces aren't so mean to preach to after you have preached to a bat. People flexing attitudes at you during a sermon don't really matter after a bat has flexed its wings on you.

I want to thank Brother Dewitt and all of the men for removing the bat after church. I thought I was going to have to do a Manu Ginobili and swat it down. Funny thing before Sunday, I would have told you I never would have been able to preach with a bat staring at me the entire service, but I did. Somehow, GSJ didn't seem all that intimidating.

Let me say how much I respect and admire the "Professor of South Bend" for his friendship and his dedication to Greater St. John. I was honored to be part of a great preaching lineup in Pastor Keith D. Witherspoon, and Pastor Charles Emery. The 4th chapter of 1 Peter will never be the same, Spoon killed versus 10-11 and Dr. Emery destroyed verses 12-19 "Suffering Saints"

The Lord allowed us to fumble through Job 2: 7-10 in an outline I have already shared in this forum. I appreciate the opportunity to stand in such a great house for such a powerful pastor while celebrating an almighty God. I wish Pastor McGhee many more celebrations and I thank God for the "bats" He allows to come in our lives.

One day when I become a good preacher that "Bat" story is going to destroy as an illustration.

Owens

4 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Dr. Owens,

Thank you for your kind words. I truly enjoyed having you share on the occasion of my 6th Pastoral Appreciation. Your preaching presence is a joy to behold and a delight to emulate. Thank Macedonia for me and I look forward to our future fellowships.

Ms Cynthia said...

Pastor I had a great time in the Lord! at St. John you really let the Holy Spirit use you in presenting the message but you got me, I was looking forward to the message you gave us at Macedonia to continue at St. Johns(smile). GOD BLESS YOU!

Ronald said...

I didn't mean to scare you; I was there to encourage you.

Gotham City,

Batman

Rev. Barney said...

Brother that was no bat, didn't you know I always wear black when I come to church. The wings were my mic. I keep running doc.