Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Prayer Request




To all of my pastors, preachers, family and friends within the blogging community and those who view this page from time to time, I have two prayer requests that I would like you to add to your list. I would like you to pray for my Minister of Music, Brother Jovan Lewis and his entire family for the loss of his 11 year old daughter Mercedes Nichole Lewis.


The media descended on this family and our church as Mercedes' death was later ruled to have been caused by the H1N1 virus. I realize and respect the media has a job to do but walking so close with the family and continuing to listen to the word "Disrespectful" being said by them made me feel their pain all the more.


Praise God this family has a strong relationship with God! Please pray for the Clay Intermediate School and the 6th grade class who were devastated by the loss of their friend. The school allowed the students to line the street as the funeral procession passed by the school. To watch over 300 kids crying, holding signs, wearing shirts and praying in the memory of their friend is a memory, I soon won't forget and caused me to cry uncontrollably seeing their pain. I am grateful I was riding with the funeral director and not in the family car as I didn't want to add to their pain.


Also, please pray for me. I am beyond tired! The emotions of the day and the events of the week have caught up with me. I have more experience as an assistant pastor than I do as a pastor. Assistants are attack dogs designed to guard, watch, protect and if needed fight for its owner. In that role, I was good. It does not mean I didn't make mistakes because I did nor does it mean that I was an asset to my church, because I wasn't. Mt Olive didn't need me, I needed them but in that role, I did my job.


I lapsed back into attack mode when I watched the media descend on the funeral asking people before and after, "How do you feel"? I wanted to protect, I set out to defend. I am sure I am wrong and I will probably realize I could have handled it better but funerals are not and should not be an exploitation of someones grief for the sake of circulation or ratings. It is a time of grief and prayerfully a time of evangelism for someone who needs understanding and direction.


I haven't been able to stop hugging my own children. I couldn't imagine losing my girls. They mean the world to me. I haven't been sleeping much lately. Every cough wakes me up now, I stand over the beds longer now, always touching and feeling for fever, I have to remember that God is still in control but it is hard for me right now.


While not a theologian, I concur with the words of President Abraham Lincoln, "I have been driven to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I have no other place to go"








5 comments:

Fitts said...

Wow! Bro my heart is made heavy and I am grieving with you and the family. What a tragedy. I will make this a matter of constant prayer.

Hang in there Doc.

DeAntwan

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and the family of the deceased.

God will Sustain you Ray, God will sustain you!!


Tony R.

Ronald said...

You have my condolences and prayers Pastor Ray.

Elderbc2 said...

Man I've got an 11 year old daughter and this post ripped me to shreds when I read it. I couldn't imagine being in this situation and my heart certainly goes out to the family. I'm praying for you all as you try to move in God and put the pieces together.

Caldwell

American History said...

Our prayers go out to you. We discovered a website that might help. Please check out http://holylandprayer.com. Hope it helps. God bless.