Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Friday and Sunday review of First Anniversary Services




















Everyone has told me that we all have done it! Some of you still do it! Well, I did it! I cried like a big ole baby because I was so overwhelmed by all the love and support I received from the Macedonia church family. Friday night the youth were in charge and the things they said to me about being a father figure for the young ladies who did not have a father or being able to share things with their pastor that they didn't feel comfortable telling anyone else; it overwhelmed me and reminded me of how serious my job is.
Pastor Andre A. McGhee, my friend and brother preached like a wild man but wild men don't sound as good or as eloquent as he did. He blessed us on Friday night and he did it all while sick. It would have been so easy for him to say I don't feel good, I will catch the next one but he wanted to be there for his little brother and I love him for that. Praise God that he has a wonderful support system not only at home but through Greater St. John.
Sunday morning brought Hurricane Woody to South Bend. MY PASTOR, Dr. A. Glenn Woodberry destroyed everything in South Bend that did not look like God and then put it back together through sound preaching and applicable teaching. Literally, my pastor just made my next 5 years so much easier. The Preacher's Confession was the sermon on Sunday Morning but Sunday Evening, Pastor conducted a preacher's seminar on "How to Deal with Amalek" Ex 17:8-13.
God used him to be so timely for ALL OF US IN SOUTH BEND that are in the ministry field. I am glad I listened to the wise pastors who told me that I would be doing a disservice to the Bend and to the brothers by not letting Doc preach at 4 so they could come over and share.
My home church, the Greater Mt. Olive Baptist Church came to share with us and the Male Chorus sang as unto the Lord, Ushers were in place and Pastor brought 7 deacons with him.
The greatest joy this anniversary gave me was my mother was alive to FINALLY see something good come out of all of her hard work. I might have been her joy baby in the womb but I was her hell baby in the world. I disappointed her so many times and for God to allow her to see that her labor was not in vain means so much to me, I can't explain.
To all of Macedonia, Thank you. The Pastor's Anniversary Committee worked smoothly, all ministry leaders cooperated and the captains took charge. To all the people who stepped out of the comfort zone, I am grateful to see how God expanded your boundaries and allowed you to grow in faith.
I don't know why God showed favor on me by allowing me to be the Pastor of Macedonia but I will continue to give God the best I have because He gave me the best by giving me Macedonia.
I love you all, Get some rest!
Pastor


7 comments:

Ronald said...

Congratulations Brother

Your Cali Brother
Ron

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Ray, first let me say congratulations my brother for 1 year of labor in the vineyard at Macedonia. Your New Jersey connection celebrated with you this week.

Secondly, you had an awesome week of preaching that is par excellence. Lastly, you got some great preaching and teaching from one of the best, one of my Pops in the ministry, Arthur Glenn Woodbury! Your church will never be the same, and South Bend will never be the same.

Lance

Elderbc2 said...

WHEW!!! I am bubbling over with excitement from hearing your good news! I am praying for many more blessed years for you in God's ministry. Love you man!

Caldwell

Rev. Barney said...

I must confess, if I had not have been there Sunday evening, I don't know if I could have made it Monday morning. What a preacher, what a preacher!!!

I was such a joy to witness the out pouring of love that your church family showered on you and your family.

I am better for having been there.

Unknown said...

Dr. Owens.....aint no turning back...God is honoring your diligent work. Thank God for the encouraging reminders during times of Pastoral celebrations that remind us that our labor is not in vain in the Lord.

Congratulations friend!

Be Encouraged.

Tony R.

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Doc,

It was my privilege to share with you on the occasion of your first Pastoral Anniversary. Macedonia is a great church who seems to understand the greatness they have in you as their leader. I am honored to call you brother and friend. As for your Dr. Woodberry and Pastor Witherspoon, they both need to be billed for the hurricane damaged they caused. It was a real joy to be there.

Jennifer McGhee said...

Rev. Owens,

Congratulations again on your first anniversary. I'm praying for continual growth in your ministry at Macedonia and many blessings for you and your family.

Your Sister in Christ