Monday, September 10, 2012

In Loving Memory of Rev. Arthur Glenn Woodberry


It was the best and worst week of my life. All ranges of emotions hitting all at once, literally the high of the mountain top to the low of the valley. I was at the 131st Annual Session of our National Baptist Convention USA INC., preaching in the Moderator's Division.

To be on the National Stage doing anything is an honor but I was twice blessed to be preaching the Close out Sermon for the Thursday Session of the Moderator's Division. When I first found out about this honor, I called Pop and I remember how proud he was, the advice he gave, the things he told me NOT TO DO, the protocol to follow and the reminder that although he wouldn't be able to be there, "remember I am always there".

The Lord blessed me on that day. I came off the stage on a major high only to be hit with the news my Pastor had died. I knew this wasn't true. For one, Pop can't die. It's not possible. He survived Vietnam, he survived his own personal demons, too tough, too strong, not happening. I called to find out that people had pronounced his death before the Lord had. I was encouraged the report was wrong. Said a few curse words about Face Book and the people on it, but happy all was well.

Flying back to Chicago, Saturday Morning waiting in the Orlando Airport, I received a call that put me back in the valley. Pastor Woodberry had died. I was in shock, no time to hurt so I started calling. The last voice I heard before I boarded the plane was Kelli, strong as always.

The Lord in providence fixed it that no one was sitting in the row I was in so I just cried all the way to Chicago. Regrets, things left undone and unsaid, needless testosterone between Dads and Sons, the arrogance of a Son with the stubbornness of a Father, the smiles, laughs, sermons, advice................

Plane lands, tears stop. Time to go back into Pastor/Son mode. I have been in that mode for an entire year.......until last week. Unexplained tears, anger, frustration, HIS VOICE, all of it came back, Couldn't function this week, didn't preach Sunday, barely was "there" at church. They really didn't know. I literally was in A.Glenn mode. Just push through.

I miss him. He was a PREACHER OF PREACHERS. He told Pastors the truth in private and in public. He said the things that needed to be said but no one had the guts to say. I thank God for all the Pastors who have called me this week to check on me. No one understands, Not really, Only Preachers do. Only Preachers understand that world of relationships between Father and Sons in ministry.

I Love you Pop. I wasn't the good son, that's Dr. Ricky D. Turner, I wasn't the educated son, that's Dr. Kevin Lee, I wasn't the chosen son, that's Pastor Ray Douglas. nor am I your Nationally known successful son, that's Dr. Joe A. Carter,  don't bear your name like others........................ but there is a son.............in spite of how so many people have tried to rewrite history............................there is a son that is getting stronger everyday, a son that is starting to find his voice in God.................I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for you.

LOVE YA POP,

Owens


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Pastor stay encouraged. Thank God for the time you all had to share together and for the things the Lord allowed you to glean from his life.

You are a Son nonetheless. Remember even Ishmael received a blessing from God!!!

Love you brother,

Rhone

Eric Mitchell said...

PEACE by with you for GMO!

Unknown said...

I just ran across this today..seven years he has been gone and this is the reminder that what he deposited in us was for our good and God's glory. It was never about him..I could insert daughter in many of the places you inserted son.

He showed me a father's love that I had never had and his daughters allowed me to have that.

In my moments of saddness I remember that I must work while it is day.I have had some good days..I've had some hills to climb...that is as far as.i ever get.. I never would have climbed this high without him.

I pray you are well and that his good works continue to manifest in you😍🤗. Vanessa P