Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Don't Speak Zebra

In our Noonday and Evening Bible Studies at the Church we have been studying out of the Book of Hebrews. It has been a blessing to my soul and to the overall health of the church. The book of Hebrews was written to a group of Jewish Christians who were being tempted to abandon the Christian life.

In order to help those who would receive this letter to have a better understanding of the character and work of Jesus, the writer gave this book the word "better" as a theme. As the readers would read this book they would discover that Jesus was a better messenger, one better than the angels (1:4). Jesus was a better apostle (3:1-3). He was worthy of more glory than Moses.

In this book Jesus is also portrayed as a better priest (5:9). He was better than Aaron and Melchizedek. Jesus provided a better covenant because it was built on better promises (8:6-7). Then the writer said that Jesus provided a better sacrifice (10:12). This book closes with the writer showing a better way (10:34). This was the way of faith. The way of faith says, "forsaking all I trust him."

I am now in Chapter 11 where we are continuing our systematic approach now looking at every named person in this chapter from a Character Study standpoint and see what their lives and experiences will teach us. Abel taught us How to Worship! When giving God a gift, we don't give God what we want Him to have but rather we give God what He wants us to bring and that gift is always the best, not the left overs.

Enoch taught us How to Walk with God. To walk with him you must be going at the same pace, headed to the same place, walking on the same path so that you might receive from Him what He has provided. We have now embarked on the study of Noah. Noak teaches us How to Work for God? The Character Study of Noah has really convicted me!


Can you work for God even when you don't understand what He is really calling you to do? Can you remain faithful to your assignment even when you don't see immediate results? Can you give God your best even if the world will give you their worst?

The testimony of Noah 5:22, 6:5 is always the same, Noah did everything just as God has commanded him.

I kept saying, I wonder if that could be said about me and then I realized I am not so sure. This is why the author of Hebrews when naming each person always starts out by saying, BY FAITH each person did what they did. It takes faith.

Faith is the organ by which we are enabled to see the invisible order with certainty just as our eyes see the physical order around us. Faith is not brainless nor sentimental. It is a solid conviction resting on God's words that makes the future present and the invisible seen. It IS NOT a feeling, or optimism nor a hunch or bootleg positive thinking. It is in a word CERTITUDE--a dynamic certainty about what God has promised.

Therefore, faith is only as good as its object and the object of our faith is God as revealed to us through his Word. BY FAITH Noah receives God's instructions in one century only to have to wait until another century to see the fulfillment. BY FAITH Noah builds the ark even when he does not know what an ark is. BY FAITH he build it according to the specifications of God and his Word. BY FAITH Noak makes ready for a harvest he would have to wait over 100 years to come to pass. BY FAITH Noak is looking and expecting rain when in reality he has no idea what that means.

All of that I am fine with. What bakes my noodle is God's command to "bring into the ark two of all living creatures, male and female, to keep them alive with you" Gen. 6:19 and again Noah did everything just as God commanded him VS22.

I put my Bible down, turned my WordSearch and LOGOS off and screamed as loud as I could, I DON'T SPEAK ZEBRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


HOW CAN YOU MAKE SOMETHING OR SOMEONE FOLLOW YOU THAT DOESN'T SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE YOU SPEAK?


DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?


IF I APPROACH A BIRD TO FEED IT, WON'T THE BIRD JUST RUN AWAY FROM ME?

God gave me the answer to this and I look forward to sharing this concept this Wednesday. I will share with you in this forum on Thursday, God willing!

Owens

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear the words from the Zebra lexicon. This is another great and helpful look my friend!!

Stay Encouraged Ray!!!!


Rhone