Thursday, February 9, 2012

It's Actually a good Day, When you Consider







I admit this is one of my favorite commercials presently playing on TV. It's not because it is so funny or has cute animals or cute graphics but it has a message that speaks to me every time I see it.

Let me say I am not advocating Nationwide Insurance. I am sure they are a fine company with great people providing a necessary service but my intent is not to get people to sign up with Nationwide Insurance. Feel free to choose whoever you like, can afford and is best for you. Again, I just like the message of the commercial.

Do you get the message? Not Nationwide's message but the underlying message of the commercial, if not look at it again and then come back and read this..............go ahead..............I can wait.
, hint it shows up about the 28 sec mark of the commercial.

The commercial opens with two men in a car who are buckled in upside down just experiencing a car accident. The insurance man receives a phone call stating that he has some bad news and some good news. The bad news is the customer's car is probably totaled but the good news is because Nationwide has a program called Vanishing Deductible, for his years of good driving he will pay no deductible.

The jingle is now sung NATIONWIDE IS ON YOUR SIDE. Good Commercial, but that's still not the REAL MESSAGE. Yes Nationwide did a great spot pitching its product of vanishing deductible but that isn't the real message.

In the last sentence of the commercial, the company man for Nationwide says, "IT'S ACTUALLY A PRETTY GOOD DAY...WHEN YOU CONSIDER". There is the real message!

Replay the spot! This person just had a car accident. He may be injured and require medical attention. He is still trapped in his situation by the device that saved him. His car is completely totaled and may have to find alternative transportation for a short time. His world has just been turned upside as symbolically he is sitting upside down..............and through it all, it still can be said, "IT'S ACTUALLY A GOOD DAY WHEN YOU CONSIDER".

There comes times in our lives where we need to consider, take a step back, BREATHE, look around and reevaluate, reassess, reconsider our situation.



I was just in a car accident................but I am still alive
I am sitting upside down.....................but I wasn't thrown out
I don't know what I am gonna to do...........but God will make a way
I have lost everything....................................but I still have hope
I couldn't save my car..................................but I saved my coffee


That's my word of hope for someone today, Take time to consider in the middle of all that is wrong, look at what is right. Nationwide didn't mean to create a religious commercial but they did. There is one one more shout within that 30 second spot. Notice where he was when he considered.


He was still strapped in, upside down, half injured, not sure of his future when they word of hope comes, "IT'S ACTUALLY A GOOD DAY WHEN YOU CONSIDER".


In the middle of our situation, not when we go on vacation, not when we take a mental holiday, not after a few drinks but right in the middle of our situation we can consider. You may ask how is this possible.


Paul says it better than I can in Philippians 4:8 ESV Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things


OWENS

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Switching companies after I finish typing...lol..

Great look Doctor!!


Rhone

Ronald said...

Thanks to you, I just spilled my cup of coffee all over my cave.

Praising GOD while I wipe up coffee,

Ron

Rev. Barney said...

I always enjoy your post brother. I have to concur with this statement. I lost my dad a few weeks ago, but it was still a good day cause he knew my Saviour.