Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Change the way you count

A minister's wife and worship leader used to lead the congregation in that old song, "Count Your Blessings." When the congregation got to the part where it would sing, "Count your blessings, name them one by one/Count your blessings, see what God hath done," she would say, "One is not enough. Let's count them by twos." The congregation would sing, "Count your blessings, name them two by two/Count your blessings, see what God can do." She would then go on, "Let's count them by threes."

The crowd would sing, "Count your blessings, name them three by three/Count your blessings, many more there'll be." You guessed it. She would take them on to fours, "Count your blessings, name them four by four/Count your blessings, there'll be many more." No telling what the song writer thought about that, but I think she had it right.

I think it is time to change how we think. God's blessings are too numerous to count by ones. He woke me up this morning, but that implies that he kept me safe last night, that implies I had shelter, which reminds me I had a place to stay, which means bills were paid, which means money was given to provide a way for me.

I made it to work this morning safely, which implies he gave me safety, he gave me transportation from point A to point B, when I turned the key the ignition started, the keys to the church hadn't been changed on me, no theft, robbery or fire befell the building where we worship.

Change how you think. One blessing ties to another and gives you pore pause and power to praise God.

Owens

No comments: