Monday, January 25, 2010

The Highs and Lows of Ministry

We had a great time in the Lord on Sunday as God blessed our church service like He always does. Brother Charles Coleman ushered us into the presence of God from the opening song and it was a glorious time in the Lord. Man, wouldn't it be nice if we could stay on the mountain top. I realize service is in the valley but sometimes I am not ready to go down so fast.

Sunday, I had to come down quickly because after the opening song, one of our praise team members took ill. Sister Yvetta Williams-Moore had a severe asthma attack and did not have her rescue inhaler with her. The sanctuary was too warm and that combined with her singing triggered a bad reaction. The dichotomy of worship going on upstairs and trouble and uncertainty downstairs was not lost on me, mountain tops and valley, highs and lows.

I praise God for our membership who used their skills as nurses and firemen to help aid Sister Moore until the paramedics came. Please continue to pray for Sister Moore and her recovery. Thankfully, God gave me a sinus infection that prevented me from preaching Sunday as this event would have certainly unhinged me. Rev. Anthony Day Jones, a son of the church now in Indianapolis, blessed us on Sunday and the Lord used him mightily. He preached Psalm 23:4 " A View from the Valley".

The sermon was sent from the Lord and was exactly what I needed to make it through the day. After church, we went to the hospital and stayed with Sister Moore until it was time for the church to travel to Gary, Indiana for the funeral services of Deacon Arthur Lee, Sr who is the father of my nurses ministry president, Sister Charrisse Taylor.

Sister Taylor is a faithful and dedicated member of our church and after learning more about her father and mother, it runs in the family. I am grateful for the members of Macedonia who traveled for a Sunday funeral. Please continue to pray for Sister Taylor and her family as the Internment will be today in Chicago, Illinois.

Highs and Lows; ups and downs; stop and go; twists and turns it all comes with ministry but I must admit, sometimes I wish the roller coaster would slow down just a little.

Owens

4 comments:

Ronald said...

Keep Running Pastor

Ron

Anonymous said...

Be encouraged Pastor, if there were no lows in this ministry, we would never have a high moment to celebrate. As I see you so often write, Keep Running..... And know that someone out here is praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Thank God for His sustaining power.

Be Encouraged Ray.


Tony R.

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Andre Crouch said, if I never had a problem, I wouldnt know that God could solve them, I wouldnt know what faith in God could do. But Through it all, I've learned to trust in Jesus!!!