Monday, April 13, 2009

65th Annual Simultaneous Revival in OKC

I am living out my dream this week as I am in the place where I first fell in love with preaching, THE OKC SIMULTANEOUS REVIVAL IN OKC. I have had the blessing of hearing some of the greatest preachers because of this venue. Dr, CAW CLARK, "And the Church said Amen", Dr. J. Allen Caldwell of the Burnett Baptist Church of Detroit Michigan, I would go home every night as a little boy and holla in the mirror so I could pull it like Caldwell.

Before the Full Gospel Movement moved, I witnessed the preaching, singing, custodial skills of Paul Morton and James Morton. Before Ralph West became the legend he is now, he cut his teeth here. Before H.B Charles became the legend, he was the boy wonder of our revival, You name them and OKC brought them here, Maurice Watson, Charles Emery, Issac Culver Jr., Melvin Wade, Stephen Thurston, L.K. Curry, Jerome Kirby, A. Louis Patterson, Frank Ray, Ricky Carter, The Bailey Brothers, pick one they all have been here, even Rev Joe Carter who wasn't appreciated because he was a home product but after a stint in Chicago came back here for the late-night youth service and his legendary status was born that night with PUSH.

Time does not permit me to talk about the W.C. Thomas' or E.K. Bailey's, Q.E. Hammonds' or Joel Gregory's that have come through here. Nor does time let me talk about the friendships gained or the associations formed with fellow preachers such as E.T. Ivey or Arthur Lane. I certainly can't describe with the justice it deserves the impact these men have had on my life through this event.

I praise God and always put him first but the same way I praise God for letting me see in my life time a Walter Payton, or Barry Sanders, or a Tiger Woods or Jordan, Dr, J, Kobe or Lebron is the same way I praise God for letting me see great preachers. We praise everything else but are afraid to give the preacher any credit. Good and sound preaching is an art form. Every preacher can't preach!

I thank God for my pastor, Pastor A. Glenn Woodberry for exposing us to good preaching and I thank Dr. J.A. Reed Jr., for his tireless efforts to continue the great tradition of this revival that was left to him by the Farley's, Neals and Provos of our preaching world.

And to think that God has shown favor on me to go from being a participant in the pew to a contributor in the pulpit at this 65th annual simultaneous revival for such a time as this, God truly will supply all of our needs but he also gives us some of our wants and fantasies as well. I am living a dream this week.

I want to thank Pastor E.J. Tyson and the New Hope Baptist Church for letting me be their guest evangelist and also for allowing my church to come Thursday and Friday, truly this is an embarrassment of riches, God is a great God and I bless him for showing favor on a sorry individual like myself. I pray I don't disgrace God, my host pastor, my church or this wonderful event.

So Excited to be running, I can't stand it,

Owens

2 comments:

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Ray Owens, you are wonderful brother this week with that post. Man I have heard for years from Joe Joe how awesome that revival has been down through the years.

I have heard of the exploits of L.A. Cazee, and Dr. Williams from Los Angeles who died in Reed's pulpit and the night Choo wore that Micheal Jordan jersey and killed everything breathing.

I know that you are going to wreck everything at the New Hope Church this week, and make sure you take GOOD CARE of our brother Spoon on his first journey to OKC.

Lance

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

After reading this post, I am humbled even further to be a part of such a monumentous occasion!

I too as a boy sat in the pew of the Simultaneous Revival of Gary, Indiana. That's where I fell in love with preaching.

I'm so glad that you are living your dream and preaching in the OKC Simultaneous Revival!

This gives me hope that one day, God will bless me to be able to live out my dream and stand in the Gary Simultaneous Revival!

Thanks for the inspiration and I'll see you later this week!