Monday, April 11, 2011

Change of Scenery

Sometimes you just need to change locations! I had that experience recently. I wish I could say it was planned, thought out or purposed in my heart but it was not. I agree with the Greek author and Philosopher Plato as he said in The Republic, Necessity is the Mother of invention.


Our church is not the largest of churches so our ministries have to learn how to share space. It can be challenging at times. As we near Resurrection Sunday, we have many activities going on at the same time so multiple people with multiple ministries but limited space can spell N-I-G-H-T-M-A-R-E. To accommodate room, I moved the Wednesday Night Bible Study to the basement so the youth choir could practice and work on their Easter Program. It was just Spring Break in this area so it is a great time to reach all of our youth. I never anticipated what happened.


We had about the same number of people. We were on the same topic study in Acts. I was teaching from the same lesson format; however, the class was more engaged. Instead of being in the sanctuary swallowed up by size where people listen, take notes and are virtually non-interactive, the class was talkative, participated in the process and helped develop a dialogue between teacher and class.


A simple change of scenery made Bible Study intimate; it created a small-group atmosphere. The lack of space made it more of a discussion because we were basically on top of each other. Same Message, different Methodology because of a new meeting place. Sometimes all you need is a change of scenery.


Owens

No comments: