Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thou Shalt Not FaceBook

New Jersey pastor orders church to get off Facebook because too many couples are using it to cheat

A Christian pastor in New Jersey is commanding his church leadership to get off Facebook because he says too many congregants are using the social tool to cheat on their spouses. The Rev. Cedric Miller, at Living World Christian Fellowship in Neptune, N.J., has issued an ultimatum to roughly 50 married church officials: delete your Facebook accounts or resign.

Miller said that over the past six months, some 20 couples at his church have sought his counseling for infidelity problems because either the husband or wife had reconnected with an old flame on Facebook or were using the site as an online singles bar to pick up men and women.
"I've been in extended counseling with couples with marital problems because of Facebook for the last year and a half," Miller said. "What happens is someone from yesterday surfaces, it leads to conversations, and there have been physical meetups. The temptation is just too great."

The pastor, 48, plans to preach about the subject on Sunday, but concedes that, while the associate pastors, deacons, minister and other leaders must follow his orders, he can’t tell the congregation what to do. Miller had asked married church members to share their passwords with one another, but that solution didn’t seem to be working.

"The average citizen is going to see my action as controlling, not that I care about that," Miller told the Asbury Park Press. "I'm not concerned with being politically correct. I'm trying to save families and marriages."
Miller, a married father of six, has a Facebook account, but said he will deactivate it this weekend.

WHAT DO YOU THINK:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I HAVE TO ADMIT I HAVE A FACEBOOK ACCOUNT.AND I DO KNOW THAT YES YOU CAN FIND OLD FLAMES ON THERE AND IT WILL DESTROY A MARRIAGE. WE MIGHT THINK THAT WE CAN HIDE WHAT IS DONE ON THEIR C/ YOU HAS TO HAVE A PASS WORD. BUT WHAT DO U DO WHEN FACEBOOK LEAVES THE COMPUTER AND IS AT YOUR FRONT DOOR.HOW CAN YOU HIDE THAT? WHAT WILL YOU TELL YOUR HUSBAND-OR-WIFE.OH HE -OR- SHE IS JUST MY FRIEND FROM SCHOOL, WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN W/ THIS PERSON FOR OVER 16 YEARS AND YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ALL THEIR FRIEND . WHAT DO U SAY , DO YOU STAY OR GO .SO AS FAR AS FACEBOOK I SAY IF YOUR MARRIED NO, IF YOUR LOOKING FOR FREINDS OR LOVE GO FOR IT BUT I THINK YOU SHOULD TRY GOD FIRST HE WILL SEND YOU THE RIGHT MESSAGE JUST LISTEN FOR IT.

Anonymous said...

I think if it is leading a person to temptation they should remove themselves from facebook. I think the pastor has a good idea. I am single and don't have a facebook account, just did not seem like a good idea to me for any reason. Sometimes those who are in the past..should remain in the past!

Anonymous said...

ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO I WENT SPEED-DATING AND I MET THIS MAN AND WE HAVE BEEN SEE EACHOTHER ALMOST EVERYDAY AND TALKING EVERYDAY .WHEN WE CAN'T SEE EACHOTHER WE CHAT ON FACEBOOK. HE ASKED ME TO MARRY HIM ON MY FACEBOOK PAGE THE NEXT DAY HE BROUGHT ME A RING. YES I DO WERE THE RING BUT I HAVE NOT SAID YES OR NO.I THINK THAT WE WOULD BE MOVING TO FAST BUT HE THINKS HE'S IN LOVE. I NEED HIM TO KNOW THAT POSTING HOW HE FEEL ON FACEBOOK IS GREAT BUT I DON'T THINK THATS FOR EVERYBODY TO KNOW. YES I LIKE HIM BUT LOVE I DON'T KNOW ABOUT AND I KNOW THAT I SHOULDN'T WERE HIS RING IF I KNOW I'M NOT GOING TO BE HIS WIFE. I CAN'T WRITE HOW I FEEL ON FACEBOOK CAUSE I DON'T WANT TO BE MEAN TO HIM.4 MONTH IS NOT LONG ENOUGH FOR ME TO FALL IN LOVE AND AS OF RIGHT NOW MY HEART IS WITH SOMEONE ELSE.SO SHOULD I GIVE THE RING BACK AND SHOULD I TELL HIM HOW I FEEL ON FACEBOOK OR FACE TO FACE

Ms. Cynthia said...

Facebook has it pro's and con's. I believe people who do hook up with old flames on their facebook page had a void in their relationship anyway and that something was going to occur any way. Married People should use that as a tool to open up the lines of communication, find out why they are spending so much time on facebook, because it do take up alot of time. I agree with the Pastor that they should close their facebook page but why would they listen to him if they are not wiling to listen to the word of GOD concerning this matter. Yes I have a facebook page and I enjoy reading the comments and finding old friends and even went on a couple of dates. But I am single, but even in that you have to be careful because the other person may not be.