Monday, August 9, 2010

Please pray for Pastor E.J. Tyson

I received the news that my friend and brother, Reverend E. J. Tyson, Pastor of the New Hope Baptist Church in Oklahoma City suffered a heart attack. I am asking all who read this blog if they would commit a moment of prayer to lift up Pastor E. J. Tyson and the New Hope Baptist Church.

This is a sobering reminder that life changes in a flash. It also serves as a wake-up call for many of us that are blessed to serve in ministry. We give all we have in preaching expending all of our energy in the service of the Lord. We preach two sometimes three times a Sunday. Revivals, Anniversaries, Annual days, convention work, district work, hospital visits, office meetings, vision casting, meaningless and mundane meetings that have nothing to do with ministry but rather are maintenance; in the process of all this, we don't sleep like we should, we don't eat right, always on the go, either forget or don't take our medicine on schedule and God has to allow something to happen to get our attention.

While praying for Pastor Tyson, today I am praying for all ministers who serve in the field giving their all; I am praying we will start listening to our bodies, paying attention to the signs, learn to obey God, spend more time with family and as silly as this will sound, slow down long enough to enjoy the journey and walk with God.

Sometimes we trick ourselves into thinking it won't run without us. If we were to die tomorrow, they would be thinking and calling for our replacement the next day. I will hug my girls a little longer today, I will reach out to my brothers in the ministry and encourage them today. I will sit down today and remain still. I will commit to once again becoming disciplined in taking care of my health, removing this extra weight and following my doctor's instructions.

Running to go sit down,

Owens

2 comments:

Rev. Barney said...

I will pray for Dr. Tyson. Thanks for reminding me to walk and not run. By the way I will be on vacation next week and I know the church will be fine. Still Praying

Randy Cherry said...

I(Randy Cherry) was the bus driver on about (I think) 3 Trips for Bro Tyson &
the New Hope Baptist church in Vernon Tx. about 1987 or 1988. I was saddened to hear about his heart attack in 2010. I had one myself in 2000 & know what it's like. I come within a minute of going to Glory,and that's a story in itself of how God brought me out! I love this man of God,and we had a GREAT time together,and the congregation of his church on these trips.I wish that I could get in touch With him! I'll try the radio station or his church in OKC. Or he can reach me on facebook. may God bless,and I hope he's OK!!