Monday, July 26, 2010

Extra Weight

I am encountering a problem in my life. It is a sin issue! Usually when we admit we have a sin issue, people run to their favorites sins to gossip about, is it fornication, is it lying, gambling, adultery, are you a closet drug addict? No to all the above, however my sin is just as deadly as all of those. Physically and spiritually, I am guilty of the sin of carrying around extra weight. I NEED TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT

Physically, I have not demonstrated any discipline concerning my diet and exercise routine and now I am bigger than I should be. It affects my clothing, it affects my daily routine, it even affects my health because it is something I shouldn't be carrying around. I NEED TO LOSE SOME WEIGHT

As I am preparing for next week's sermon on The Valley Gate in Nehemiah 3, I started thinking of the theme "The Luggage of Life". The Valley Gate is the longest stretch between points of all the gates that needed repaired and represents a time in our lives where burdens get heavy, problems seem to pile on and we don't see a end in sight.

We start to carry things God never intended for us to carry. Max Lucado calls it a "suitcase of guilt, a sack of discontentment, a duffel bag of weariness, a hanging bag of grief, a backpack of doubt, an overnight bad of loneliness and a trunk full of fear. Pretty soon you are pulling more stuff than a skycap. No wonder we are so tired at the end of the day. Lugging luggage is exhausting"!

We need to lighten our load. We need to lose some weight! How do we do it? Maybe we should look at the eagle for an example. An Eagle renews its life by breaking away the buildup on its beak that keeps it from eating and growing stronger. As an eagle grows older, its beak begins to grow and a build up of scar tissue from cracks and scratches forms. This buildup begins to limit the ability of the eagle to open its beak wide enough to eat properly.

The eagle finds a rock or hard surface and begins to beat the end of its beak until it finally breaks away the buildup. Then the beak grows back in its correct proportions and the eagle is able to eat again. It’s strength and vigor returns and it becomes like a young eagle again. IT BREAKS AWAY THE BUILDUP.

Many of us carry excess weight, the luggage of life, buildup that needs to be broken. It can come from a variety of sources. Unrealistic expectations of others, unrealized dreams, past relationships, past failures and present frustrations. It shows up in anger, guilt, arrogance, fear and all kinds of insecurities that weigh us down.

Hebrews 12:1-2 says 1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.

It's time to lose some weight, physically and spiritually,

Owens

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great post Owens...I continue to be helped and inspired by your consistent writing and expressions.

Keep up the good work brother.


Tony R.