Monday, September 28, 2009

Thank God for NO!

In Acts 16:7, Paul and his apostolic team were headed to Bithynia when suddenly, the Spirit of God impressed them to stay away from that region. The verse says, "After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not."

The word "assayed" tells us how badly Paul and his team wanted to go to Bithynia. The word "assayed" is the Greek word peiradzo, which means to attempt or to try. The Greek tense used in this particular verse indicates an incomplete action, which alerts us to the fact that Paul and his team actually tried to go to Bithynia but were unsuccessful in their attempt. How hard they tried is not clear, but the Greek word peiradzo implies that they tried very hard to go there.

Paul suffered many difficulties as he traveled to different regions, but it rarely stopped him from going where he had intended to go. The reason he and his ministry team didn't press on in their efforts this time is that the Holy Spirit "suffered them not" to go to Bithynia. The phrase "suffered them not" comes from the Greek words ouk eiasen. The word ouk is a strong "No!" The word eiasen is from the Greek word eao, which means to allow or to permit. When these words become the phrase ouk eiasen, the new word means to not permit or to forbid.

That day, the apostle Paul and his team listened to the leading of the Spirit to stay out of the region of Bithynia. By staying away from Bithynia, they apparently circumvented some kind of disaster that awaited them there. We don't know what devilish trap had been set for Paul if he had gone to that region, but we do know he avoided it by obeying the Holy Spirit's instructions.

As children of God, we must learn to follow the Holy Spirit's leadership, direction, and guidance. We must stay sensitive to what the Holy Spirit is telling us to do, even if we can't rationalize or figure out why He is telling us to do it. God does not have to give us everything we want. He is not a Genie in a bottle! He is not our Fairy God Parent! He is God and He is sovereign! GOD CAN SAY NO!

I am learning to thank God for his NO, for the times HE forbids, won't allow or permit. I admit I haven't always appreciated it. I want Him to fix it, move it, take it, let me do it and He says NO. However it was in NO that I learned the fire can't kill me, it was in NO that I learned the lions won't destroy me, it was in NO that I learned that God's grace is sufficient.

I am learning that when God says NO, it gives me a great opportunity to say YES to His will and YES to His way. Thank God for NO.

4 comments:

Rev. Barney said...

Thank God for un answered prayer!!!!

Anonymous said...

Good exegesis Owens....keep at it brother. That's rich.


Tony R.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

My God what a preacher!!!! Great job Ray!

Lance

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Thanks for the insight my brother!! Your posts always leave me wanting more.