Sunday, December 7, 2008

Don't Miss the Party

By far this is the best weekend I have had here in South Bend, I officially am from Indiana now as it snowed all Friday and Saturday and I didn't bunker down like I had been doing. I kept going like it was no big deal. I attended a concert where one of my members Eugene Staples II, the son of one of our Pastors at the church Eugene Staples, Sr., is the lead musician for the Voices of Faith University of Notre Dame Gospel Choir. It was wonderful and God's name was praised, starting on the 4th Sunday of January, this choir will be ministering at my church every fourth Sunday to give them an outlet to use their gift for God and to introduce my church to another avenue of ministry.

Sunday was powerful ALL Day. We continued our advent series, "God is Closer than you think" with our sermon coming from Luke 10:38-42 and we urged the members "Don't Miss the Party" Martha invites Jesus to the home for what seems to be a dinner party but gets so lost in the preparation, she forgets the Prince of Peace is in the House. She is mad at Mary for not helping her and orders Jesus to tell Mary to come and help her. Jesus in effect says, Martha you are missing the party, only one thing is necessary and needful and Mary has chosen that one good thing.

During this Advent season many people are so busy making preparations to buy this, cook this, plan this that we have lost sight of the one who the holiday is all about. We have become so obsessed with the other stuff that we have forgotten the one needful thing. We encouraged the members in order not to miss the party they need to give up their worries, they need to concentrate on worship and understand that Jesus is worthy. The Lord blessed in spite of the limitations of the preacher.

We closed the day with an evening service where the church had a Pastor's aid program honoring my family. I am blessed with three beautiful girls Rachael, LaBraia, and Raven. Pastors Andre A. McGhee and K.D. Witherspoon came over to bless us in this program. I thank God fortheir fellowship, friendship and faithfulness to God as preachers and Pastors in this area.

Pastor Witherspoon killed the house. Many members of Macedonia had never heard my brother preach so they didn't know how powerful of a preacher spoon is. THEY KNOW NOW. He ran and drug everything in the house. I am glad I know he is my friend.

As grateful as I am for the friendship of these pastors, I am even more honored to be the Pastor of Macedonia and to be the recipient of the riches of God as distributed by this loving church. My mother taught me that people don't have to be nice and when they are nice they don't have to be nice to you, so when the occasion comes where someone is nice, the least you should do is say thank you. God bless Macedonia and I love you very much. It was a great weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Owens, I was so glad to finally visit Macedonia Sunday evening during the celebration your members gave you. It is nice to know your members appreciate and love you. Your daughters are adorable, your church is spiritual and your members are thankful, a wonderful combination that is a true example of God’s Blessings. Your Church building reminds me of the Church I grew up in as a child in New York. It really made me feel right at home. Last nights service was riveting, exciting and we can’t wait to visit your Church again in the future. I will do whatever I can to promote the bond you 3 Pastors share with each other. I am a member of Greater St. John (GSJ) my wife and I were welcomed with open arms when we first visited GSJ. It is a great feeling of love and Christian Brotherhood to be so welcomed. Hope you enjoy the picture we gave you, and my wife was upset that I did not get a picture of you and your girls. Oh well, that’s an excuse to pay you a visit again. Next stop Bethelhem……

Brother Armstrong

Unknown said...

Powerful message Ray. Sounds like the Lord is honoring your work there in Indy. Keep lifting up your soul to the Lord in all that you do.

Proud of you brother.

Be Encouraged.

Tony R.

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Dr,

I am humbled and honored by your wonderful comments about yesterday.

Who should I make the check out to?

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Pastor Owens,

It was great to be in fellowship with you and Spoon along with our church families. Truly the love Macedonia has for you and the girls is real, refreshing and rich.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Dr. Owens, I am glad that you had a wonderful day all day long. Dr. McGhee and Dr. Spoon's presence, I am sure, helped to make it all the more special.

Lance

Rev. Barney said...

It great to know that you are getting accustomed to the weather, worship and working of South Bend. I can only picture in my mind's eye how high the spirit was in the house.

May God continue to bless the union that He has created between your family and Macedonia.