Monday, November 17, 2008

Standing Together

It was a wonderful worship day all day for me. Sunday Morning, Pastor Eugene C. Staples Sr., delivered a timely Word out of Acts 4:9-10 that informed and inspired and hopefully will instigate some people to act out our motto of "We are Macedonia and We are called to help somebody"

Sunday evening we shared with the Greater St. John family and Dr. McGhee and family for their 5th year Pastoral appreciation service. Dr. K.D. Witherspoon knocked it out of the park and the ball has yet to land, check out his blog for the outline. The man is gifted and a giant of a preacher.
While the preaching of the Word encouraged me what a St. John member said to me after service provoked me. After thanking me for loving her Pastor, she said, "What you ministers are doing here in South Bend is revolutionary, I have never seen Pastors who work together like you three are doing.

While I appreciated the words, the impact didn't hit me until later. I recognize my relationship with Pastors Witherspoon and McGhee is unique but the thought of standing alongside a fellow Pastor never struck me as revolutionary. I mean, after all that's basic isn't it?

Robert Fulghum's book, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned In Kindergarten" is helpful here as in it he says, "Share everything. Play Fair. Don't Hit People. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your Own Mess. Don't take things that aren't yours. Say you're sorry when you hurt someone and When you go out in the World, it is best to Hold Hands and Stick Together.
Isn't that what Paul was really saying in his closing words in Ephesians:

31-32Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you. (MSG)

I realized then that what seems normal to me is revolutionary to others because sometimes the worst words people have heard about preachers have come from other preachers.
Instead of building each other up, we have torn each other down. Preachers who try and out whoop, out preach and out sing each other instead of helping our brothers preach, whoop and sing for the glory of God. Where did we lose sight of the fact God has called us to save a dying world by taking the gospel to the unchurched?

We now live in a world where Pastors try and grow their church by stealing members from another church by downgrading pastors to make themselves look better.

My Pastor taught me the principle, "If I can't help you, I will never hurt you" Bible study has turned me into an Acts 5 Pastor as it relates to other Pastors or ministries. Take care and Leave alone! If it is of man, it will fail but if it is of God you can't stop it, either way you don't have to waste time talking about it.
Charles Swindoll in his book, "Hope Again" tells the story of Andrew Jackson while serving as a Major general in the Tennessee militia during the War of 1812 after noticing all of the arguing, bickering and fighting that was taking place among his men, Jackson called them all together and said, "Gentlemen! Let's remember, the enemy is over there!

Even if this generation or this particular piece of ground here in South Bend has been known more for the sinful practice of brother-bashing that would make people think we were enemies instead of being members of the same family, the time has come for a different picture to be displayed.
Stop the Infighting! Pull for one another, Support one another, Believe in one another, Care for one another, Pray for one another, Love one another. If I can't help you, I will never hurt you. Let's stand together because the enemy is over there.

3 comments:

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Doc,

I am extremely blessed to have you as a brother. I believe that we made an indelible mark on Michiana yesterday. As a result we will be better, our churches will be better, and above all the body will be better.

Great thought provoking post and thanks for the support on yesterday!

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Great post Dr. Owens! You have seemingly fit right in with my brothers Spoon and McGhee which tells me that the South Bend area is in for a mighty move of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Lance

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

I am in agreement with Doc. Spoon. You are a jewel in God's crown and a blessing to us all. Thanks for sharing with us on Sunday.